Oh Behavior Management
Why Do Kids Misbehave? Misbehavior usually occurs because students are choosing inappropriate ways to get their perceived needs met. They may not even be unaware of the specific need or unable to express it. Some of the needs that could cause negative behavior are:
- Attention – “I need to feel valued and wanted. I need someone to listen to me.”
- Leadership – “I need to do something significant. I need my efforts to be acknowledged.”
- Security – “I need to know that there are boundaries. I need you to help me control myself. I am afraid of someone else. I need you to control someone else.”
- Encouragement – “I need to know you think I can do it. I need to have successes.”
- Health – “I’m cranky, I don’t feel well. I need rest, maybe some medicine.”
- Nutrition – “I didn’t get breakfast today. I need to eat something.”
- Comfort – “There are problems at home that I don’t understand. I’m afraid, angry, confused.”
Negative Behavior Can Be Stopped!
Negative behavior can be stopped for the short-term, but if the need is not met, negative behavior will occur again. If negative behavior is going to be stopped, someone will have to help meet the student’s needs or show the student how to meet their own needs in positive ways. Each need is met in different ways. The goal of the “Oh Behavior Management” seminar is to learn appropriate ways to CORRECT a student’s behavior, not PUNISH the student.